Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Look closely: You're in the Audience!

One of my mentors at Concierge PA, the consultancy firm where I work, told me the premises of my job was simple and they were to know my audience thoroughly and connect with it.  Besides loyalty, privacy and trust, which are the hallmarks of my firm, Concierge PA, the one other word you will hear most often is connect.

What my mentor taught me was that my audience, people, was in charge.  They wrote the rules.  And, no matter how many changes come into play on the media and technological landscape, I always remember that my focus is the people that make up my audience, and my job was to connect with them in a way that I could produce the appropriate objective for my client.

In the world of strategic communications, it is easy to get caught up in all of the ever-changing media technology, but what never changes it that the technology nor media writes the rules.  The people do.

Look at financial markets.  The NYSE does not own the market, nor does J. P. Morgan Chase.  As successful as he is, Warren Buffett does not own it either.  He, in fact, capitalizes by remembering that the people own the market and that they write the rules.  His investment strategies focus on who will put the bull or the bear in the market, the people.

Technology is changing at a light-speed pace, and the media reinvents itself every other day.  What we must remember is that what is always constant is that people – not technology, nor the media – write the rules.  Regardless of the new “faces” on the technological block, the root of success in strategic communication still comes down to one thing, your audience of people.  Connect with them regardless of the technology or the media and your job is done.  Now that’s what I call a captive audience.  Run tweet that.


Concierge PA’s strategic communications consultancy division specializes in public & media relations; advertising; online, social & digital content development & management; logo and identity design; marketing plan development; publicist services; and media, special events & trade show management.


No comments:

Post a Comment